Useful information for significant caregivers who will visit a resident at an intermediate resource (IR), a family-type resource (FTR), or a private seniors’ residence (PSR)
This page is presently being translated, some sections are not available in English. Thank you for your understanding.
Last page update : July 7 2020
For you to be able to visit your loved one at a residence, you must agree to follow all guidelines issued by the Ministère de la Santé et des Services sociaux to reduce the risk of transmitting COVID-19 to residents and employees. Only one caregiver per resident will be admitted. This guideline must be respected at all times, without exception.
You are considered a significant caregiver if you meet all of these criteria:
- You are a relative (family member), friend, or any other significant person to the resident (senior companion);
- You are known to the residence staff and provided regular support (2-3 times a week) to your loved one prior to the pandemic;
- You provide emotional support and basic care (stimulation, reassurance, partial personal hygiene, brushing hair, shaving beard, cooking certain meals);
- You provide this support on a regular basis of at least 2-3 times a week, which meets the ongoing and long-term needs related to the resident’s situation.
See this information sheet to find out:
- Instructions to follow before your first visit;
- Instructions to follow during your first visit;
- Information about your movements inside and outside the residence.
As a preventive measure, you must self-monitor for any symptoms of COVID-19. See this information sheet for more information about COVID-19 and the symptoms to watch for.
Personal protective equipment
- How to put on a mask: illustrated how-to for putting on a mask properly (French only).
- How to put on and take off personal protective equipment: step-by-step instructional video demonstrating the procedure for donning and removing personal protective equipment (French only).
- Le lavage des mains, simple et efficace: Helpful tips and reminders for effective hand washing (French only).
- Portail Santé Montérégie
- Un guide pour prévenir le déconditionnement des aînés isolés en contexte de pandémie (French only at this time, English version to follow)
- Coronavirus (COVID-19)
- Boîte à outils COVID-19
- Services psychosociaux
- Outils généraux pour les proches aidants significatifs
- Soutien aux parents
- Gouvernement du Québec