Before you can see a medical specialist, you must first see a family doctor, who will assess your health and refer you to a specialist as needed. If you do not have a family doctor, visit the Québec Family Doctor Finder page.
If the family doctor you see requests an urgent consultation with a medical specialist, they will make the appointment with the specialist themselves.
If you already have a consultation form for an appointment with a specialist completed by your physician, contact the appointment centre of the hospital closest to your home.
Centre de répartition des demandes de service (CRDS)
If the family doctor feels the consultation with the medical specialist is not urgent, they will send the consultation request to a service request dispatch centre (CRDS). The CRDS will schedule the first available appointment with a specialist with a wait time appropriate to your clinical condition. In this case, you do not have to do anything yourself to get an appointment.
Specialities available through the CRDS
- Clinical immunology and allergy
- General surgery
- Internal medicine
- Medical oncology
- Plastic surgery
- Vascular surgery
For more information about the CRDS, visit https://www.quebec.ca/en/health/finding-a-resource/consult-a-professional/consulting-a-medical-specialist/
Other useful links
- Allergists and immunologists: Association of Allergists and Immunologists of Québec
- Dermatologists: Association des dermatologistes du Québec
- Gynecologists and obstetricians: Association des gynécologues et obstétriciens du Québec
- Psychiatrists: Association des médecins psychiatres du Québec